Saturday 15 September 2012

Time and effort


So here’s the thing, at the moment I sew very slowly lol
I jumped into Oddity full steam ahead while being a Mum, house wench and full time university student! I suffered burnout from pushing myself to achieve everything at once and I now have RSI in my right hand so more than 20mins of sewing kills my hand, problem is, the front hairline on one doll alone takes over an hour to sew securely not to mention all the small sewing bits that the machine can’t do well like attaching the head or small details on clothes etc
 
<---- One of my simple dolls, takes around 8hrs to make, it could be done in a couple of days if I didn’t have other duties to perform but it usually takes me at least a week to complete one doll, at least it used to before I started having problems with my hands; I haven't attempted to make a doll since March. A much needed break was taken to attempt to get my inspiration back and over the past couple of weeks I have had idea after idea, I'm in the process of drawing up some new personalities and next week will be my first week in over 6mths that I have sat at the sewing machine for something other than clothing repair! It will still be a few weeks until I start releasing photo's of new Oddity's but I am finally feeling exited about creating my strange little dolls again! So, and hour or two to draw one up in full colour with detailed idea's then 4.5hrs for the body sewing, around 3 hours for clothing, finishing the hair line and a little more time for hand painted details and we'll officially be back in the doll game! 
 
YES a lot of effort for one little doll, makes you appreciate them a little more no? I certainly love seeing them complete after a lot of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment